Friday, January 25, 2008

The Five Love Languages

My sister began reading this book not too long ago. As she is a newly married woman, it can be a good idea to know how to express your love to the one you care about. I was curious what my languages were so I took an online survey to find out. I was somewhat surprised by the results. They are as follows:

1) Acts of Service
2) Physical Touch
3) Words of Affirmation
4) Gifts
5) Quality time

After thinking about it, I determined the deviation from what I thought was because I tend to show love differently then I receive it.

While acts of service remains high of both lists, physical touch would only be high when I show love. I would further break down the list like this.

Show
1) Acts of Service
2) Physical Touch
3) Gifts
3) Words of Affirmation
4) Quality time

Receive
1) Acts of Service
1) Words of Affirmation
2) Gifts
3) Physical Touch
4) Quality time

All of this really doesn't mean that much in the long run as it is important to show love in all areas but it is good to point out the area I need to work on the most is quality time. Maybe it's just a guy thing. You never hear a guy talk about the atmosphere of a restaurant they went on a date to. Then again, since service is apparently something I value, therefore if someone I care about needs to be taken to special places or to do special things, I can work on that as my act of service.

No comments: