Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Blog

What is the draw for people to want to write in blogs? I had one before but I nixed it because it served no purpose other then take up my time. After much deep though, I've come to the conclusion that a blog is good to keep you honest. If I make a new years resolution, I'm much more likely to keep it if it is posted for all to see.

So on to new years resolutions. I've found most resolutions fall into one of these categories.
  • Spiritual Life
  • Health
  • Work
  • Financial
  • Relationships
  • Fun
With so many to choose from, I can hardly narrow it down to one resolution so I began to make a list. At first my list had things like "Not miss a quiet time with God." The problem with that kind of resolution is you miss it once and that goal is toast. Considering that and knowing I am likely to fail at least once, I decided to change it to the following doable changes.

1) Be deliberate about spending daily time with God
2) Be deliberate to pray about every decision I have to make or anything else that could cause stress
3) Count my blessings often and thank God for them
4) Run a Marathon
5) Start working out
6) Eat healthier
7) Move up in positions or at least take a few interviews
8) Add $6,000 to my savings account by the end of the year
9) Pay off my car in 3 years
10) Pay off my house in 7-10 years
11) Be more open with friends
12) Visit my family more often
13) After May, find an interesting lady to ask out
14) Make at least one snowboarding trip to a decent mountain (at least Snowshoe or better)

So that's 14 resolutions. Seriously, who makes 14 resolutions? I'd say they're more like goals then just New Years resolutions and I've been working on them for a while. New Years just happens to be a good cut on time.

Now these goals are lofty I admit but they are not entirely impossible. I just need a plan of attack.

1) Pretty easy considering BSF requires a daily commitment
2) As I spend more time each day through BSF study or other, this becomes easier but as this next year should hold a lot of big changes, I hope to make this a permanent change.
3) When God says wait, its often hard to count your blessings but doing so will allow you to thank and praise God which is one purpose of Christians. When ever things seem down, I will attempt to make this list at least mentally and on paper if necessary.
4) I'll start with the half marathon this March and see where it goes from there. I ran 7 miles the other day and that about killed me so this may be a bit of a lofty goal.
5) I've got the free gym membership and my brother is a personal trainer so the only thing holding me back is me. I think I might start this in May since right now I'm working on adding distance and I don't need the extra weight to carry.
6) This isn't so easy because I don't have time to cook and eating out healthy isn't cheap or easy. I'll try to cook more and include better foods in my grocery list. I eat what I have so that's what I'll have to do.
7) This can be a nerve racking goal but can be important.
8) I've picked up a part time job that will at first go towards savings till I've added $6,000
9) Next, my part time job will go towards my car
10) Finally my savings will go into a money market that will eventually go as a lump sum towards my house. I won't do this monthly since I get a tax cut from the government
11) Something Thomas is encouraging me to do
12) Just make time to do it. We are all in Harnett or Wake County and get together for every birthday or any other celebration so I should be able to do this almost once a month.
13) To do this, I need to make sure I'm ready to date which means giving God my past interests so I can move on. Also I should become a man women would want to date by taking care of my self and my responsibilities.
14) I've got a trip to Snowshoe planned but if that doesn't work out, I'll probably try to catch one of those cheap skybus tickets and make a weekend out of it.

So there you go. If you do happen to read this at some point, ask me if I'm keeping my goals.

No comments: