Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wintergreen

We went skiing at Wintergreen this past weekend. On the ride back, I was thinking about how bad of a name Wintergreen is. When you ski or board, you want as little green as possible. I think a better name would be Winterwhite. Now that would make me want to go there.

About the trip, it was a great time. We had three new boarders this weekend so it was cool to see their progress. I was really amazed at how quickly they picked it all up. When you're that tired and bruised, you don't feel like you are making progress but they really looked like they had been a few times before by the end of the day. Bogus and I got to sharpen our skills on the slope. After going down what was listed as a double black, we felt pretty confident in our abilities. That was our first problem. The other is that we are both pretty competitive and at one point we were racing down the mountain. I'm sure you know where this is going but I'll go ahead and throw it out anyways. As I attempted to pass him on the left side, he began to carve to the left and there was a collision. I just spun around but Dave was thrown to the ground. Luckily nobody was hurt so we could actually laugh about it after the fact. Things like this actually make snowboarding fun. It's been a while since I've had a rush like that and while I won't be seeking out crashes, its fun to be out of control every once in a while.

I also got to see how much I really dislike my board. Being a loose board, its great for jumps and tricks but since I've given up on those, I prefer a stiff board for speed and control. Dave and I switched boards for a while and it was amazing how much faster I could ride on his "junk" board. I'd love to get a new one but my New Years resolutions posted before include financial accomplishments so I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Hopefully pictures from the trip to come.

No comments: