Monday, March 17, 2008

Best Movie I'll never watch again

A quote from the moive:
So if I asked you about art you could
give me the skinny on every art book
ever written... Michelangelo? You
know a lot about him I bet. Life's
work, criticisms, political
aspirations. But you couldn't tell
me what it smells like in the Sistine
Chapel. You've never stood there and
looked up at that beautiful ceiling.
And if I asked you about women I'm
sure you could give me a syllabus of
your personal favorites, and maybe
you've been laid a few times too.
But you couldn't tell me how it feels
to wake up next to a woman and be
truly happy. If I asked you about
war you could refer me to a bevy of
fictional and non-fictional material,
but you've never been in one. You've
never held your best friend's head
in your lap and watched him draw his
last breath, looking to you for help.
And if I asked you about love I'd
get a sonnet, but you've never looked
at a woman and been truly vulnerable.
Known that someone could kill you
with a look. That someone could rescue
you from grief. That God had put an
angel on Earth just for you. And
you wouldn't know how it felt to be
her angel. To have the love be there
for her forever. Through anything,
through cancer. You wouldn't know
about sleeping sitting up in a
hospital room for two months holding
her hand and not leaving because the
doctors could see in your eyes that
the term "visiting hours" didn't
apply to you. And you wouldn't know
about real loss, because that only
occurs when you lose something you
love more than yourself, and you've
never dared to love anything that
much. I look at you and I don't see
an intelligent confident man, I don't
see a peer, and I don't see my equal.
I see a boy. Nobody could possibly
understand you, right Will? Yet you
presume to know so much about me
because of a painting you saw. You
must know everything about me.
I write now about a movie that came out a while back. I believe I was a senior in High School at the time (1998) and saw this movie with a girl from another school. I remember the first time I watched this movie, I was just amazed by the whole thing. The story was brilliant and the character development was thick. You had a boy genius working as a janitor at a local college in Boston. Life had given him a bad deal but by solving one problem he was given a chance to fix it all. Obviously one who screwed up his whole life, he ruins that chance and makes a fool out of the men who try to help him. Lucky for him, they saw past the rough hedges he put up and helped him grow into the man he was meant to be. You would know this movie as Good Will Hunting and I do not suggest you go watch it. I only write about this because I'll be using the quote above in a future article. Despite all the good things, I can not for entertainment's sake sit through that movie again.

The movie glorifies an inner city lifestyle that involves language that would make a sailor blush, drunken bar hopping, random hookups and a model of dating that has been proven unsuccessful in the past. To be fair to the movie, it was done in a believable way and everything was probably pretty accurate but it just listening to the movie, I can't help but cringe as every sentence they say involves some profanity.

Because I'm a computer guy, I'll use some basic shelll calls to find out how many times certain words show up in the script. Granted this does not take into consideration when the same word is used more then one time on a line. Also note, I try to keep this blog pretty clean so I've replaced the actual search word with a few *$& type characters.

$ grep -i sh*& will_hunting|wc -l
29
$ grep -i fu*& will_hunting|wc -l
93
$ grep -i bit*& will_hunting|wc -l
4
$ grep -i da*& will_hunting|wc -l
7
$ grep -i da*& will_hunting| grep -i g*&|wc -l
4
$ grep -i "a$$ " will_hunting|wc -l
25

The F-bomb was dropped at least 93 times? That's pretty strong by itself but total you're looking at over 150 profanities in a pretty short film. Like scratching a chalkboard, it kind of just gets under your skin to hear that much profanity. Yes, I loved the movie back then but that one along with American History X and Saving Private Ryan (for different reasons) will go down as one of the best movies I'll never watch again.

No comments: