Tuesday, March 4, 2008

BSF lesson learned

In BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) we read about a rich man who came to Jesus asking how one becomes saves. Jesus named several of the 10 commandments and it turns out the man had kept all of them. Despite all that man had done, he realized that he could never be good enough and he was still lacking something.

It was at that point, Jesus looked at the man with compassion and pointed out the one fault he had. The man was in love with his wealth and status. All of the 10 commandments and anything else God has asked us to do can be wrapped up in two commands. We are to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind. Second is like it in that we should love our neighbor as yourself. Jesus asked the man to give all he had to the poor and follow. The man was lacking this. He loved money more then God therefore he broke the first of the two commandments. Also, he loved himself more then the poor since he would not give his wealth to them.

At first we think this is for the non-Christians out there. Upon further review, I realize this is a lesson spoken directly to me. Anytime we sin, we are putting things in this world over God. James says (taking a little out of context) that we sin because of the desires that war within us. I look over this last week at how selfish I've been. I knew I was putting things above God and that keeps me not from heaven but from experiencing the joy and blessings only God can provide.

I am convicted by that lesson and also the lesson on humility just a few verses before. I'd like to always choose God because my love for Him is that great. I think in the past how each time I chose God over myself, I have never been disappointed. Going back to my testimony, I was with out joy for 4 years. I was with out hope so I gave God all I had. Only then did things turn around for Jesus said “the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”

Don’t you love it when you discover something like this? It’s a simple lesson that I’ve learned many times over but each time it’s fresh. I like to think of it like grade school. The first time God showed me this, I graduated K-5. I gave up one more area of my life and God says, well done, you’ve now passed 1st grade. Each grade the lessons get harder but once we finally get it, wow! Through it all, we can always say God is good.

No comments: