Monday, March 17, 2008

Robes of Righteousness

When you’ve been a Christian for a while, certain things become easy. I really have no problem not cursing when I stump my toe or stealing even if I knew I wouldn’t get caught. The more you try model after Christ, the better person you become. Like I said, after a while these things become easy and you can end up relying on yourself to be the right kind of person. I say all that just to say I came to a realization a few days ago. I was talking to Thomas and I said love was a choice. You look at the Bible’s definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13 and it gives actions and not feeling therefore I figured all you had to do was to chose to do those things and you could love some one. While I know love still to be an action, Thomas said that we can not chose to do all those thing since it is not in our nature to be patient and long suffering when we are hurt by the ones we love. When you compare the fruit of the Spirit to the attributes of love, it is remarkable how similar they are. Also, looking at the first part of 1 Corinthians 13, it shows a lot of actions done not filled with the Spirit and those were seen as empty and with out love.

After reading that, I can’t help but think about my life and how I try to do good things on my own. I think God is probably trying to tell me something because in BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) this week, we studied Matthew 22:11-14 on day six. I would suggest reading it so you know the whole story but I took out of it the man tried to get in on his own works aka, he wore the wrong robe to the wedding. Let broaden our understanding of what they mean by robes using Isaiah 61:10, 64:6, Philippians 3:9, and 1 Peter 2:24. In those passages, we see our best efforts as filthy rags while Jesus gave us a robe of righteousness through what He did on the cross. Basically, for us to accomplish anything meaningful and lasting, we need to rely on the Holy Spirit to work through us by grace. This is just like wrapping a clean new robe around us and taking us in even though we don’t deserve it. That’s grace my friend and it is by grace we are saved and through the Spirit we accomplish what God has for us to do.

No comments: