Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hungry Years

Opening a can of roles or biscuits is not as easy as the directions say. As you unwrap the outside paper, they should pop out and scare you half the time but not these, these were frozen. At first you bang them against the counter top hoping they would crack open. When that doesn't work, you try to pry them open with anything you get your hands on. I finally figured out that if you cut the top a bit, you can pop the lid then tear the side down. Finally success! But not with out casualties. Some how I managed to cut my thumb and ended up getting a little blood on my sleeve. It was worth it though because these were sweet rolls once I was finished and topped them off with icing, they were soooooo good. At least till my 5th one. Even something that tastes so good can lose it's appeal after time.

This reminds me of an essay I heard on boundless called the "Hungry Years." As a single man, my meals are usually pretty bad. If it wasn't for Flintstone Vitamins, I'd probably be totally malnourished. My diet consists of pasta, soup, sweet rolls, or eating out. I can understand why this point in my life would be called hungry years. I went from missing home cooking to missing my college meal plan. There are times I have gone to bed hungry because I couldn't imagine eating another can of soup.

This is not the only hunger I have at this time. Even more then physical food, I hunger to be established. My first job out of college was to sell cell phones. Next, I worked at a video game store. After that, I was a high school math teacher. Then I worked as a computer technician until I finally found this job. Even though I've been here around two and a half years, I'm still not where I'd like to be. There is also the expectation to settle down with some one and make a life. Through all the transitions in my life, I'm much hungrier then ever before.

I like how Boundless compared this period to Moses leading the Jews into the promise land. I once ate Chic-fil-a every day for three months. After three months, even I grew tired of the chicken club and even if manna tasted better then even my sweet rolls, you have to imagine forty years would be more then most could handle. Boundless seems to believe God ordains these "Hungry Years" so we can look back and see how God lead us through that time.

Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these 40 years; to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord (Deuteronomy 8:2-3, emphasis added).

If this is going to be an ordained time of learning to depend on God, I'm going to have to make the most of this time. Through faith, I will continue to seek God and look for ways to serve. Through faith, I have to assume this period is limited and when I come out established, I can look back and remember how God carried me through these years.

For more info, check out the source at Boundless HERE.

1 comment:

Ashely said...

Sort of along the same lines, but not really. You should download Pastor Davey's sermon from Sunday night on Matthew 5:5-6. He talked about being hungry and thirsty for a life that satisfies God. It was pretty good.