Monday, December 1, 2008

Twilight

Don't deny it ladies, you know you've secretly loved that teen series of books. Its ok, I did too. I read all 4 books in a two week span. I love it and hate it when that happens (and it happens more often then it should). I get so wrapped up into stories that I forget all else. My take on the books are as follows.

Twilight (book 1) had the best story. I really enjoyed that book and couldn't put it down. I saw the movie when it came out the other week but it wasn't nearly as good as the book. I left thinking Edward was just creepy since you couldn't really understand what was going on.

New Moon (book 2) while I didn't think this story was quite as good as Twilight (perhaps because the ideas were no longer new to me) the character development and interaction was really good on this one. Its a little more girlie/emotional then Twilight however that in no way detracts from how good this book was also. Still an awesome story. I don't know how well this will do on the screen. It will be all drama and teenage drama doesn't really work well on screen.

Eclipse (book 3) was still really good despite not being as good as the first two. By this point, I was hooked and I could finish the book even if it was crappy but it was not. There is heightened conflict on this one and some fighting. I bet this one would make for a really good movie.

Breaking Dawn (book 4) was too abrupt of an end to me. Kind of an anti climax even though the story was woven perfectly and tied up nicely. The conflict ended up being less then I anticipated but was still a very satisfying read.

Over all, I really liked this author. I loved her attention to detail which reminded me of some of the older classic authors. She would describe everything about a room and you really get an understanding of both the scene and the mood. I was in most cases a few steps ahead of her in understanding of where everything was going but to me that only added to the tension as I read. Its like those horror movies where the killer is behind them if they would only turn around. You yell at the screen but obviously you can never break the fourth wall. I would suggest these books to anyone. Marcie, you too. You need to read them so we can talk about them.

No comments: