Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fluff

Saw this on Boundless:

Finally, Begg laments what he calls the loss of focus on the Gospel in our songs:

"This is no comment on musical styles and tastes, but simply an observation about the lyrical content of much that is being sung in churches today. In many cases, congregations unwittingly have begun to sing about themselves and how they are feeling rather than about God and His glory."

Sometimes I wish I had never read Begg's words, because that morning in church I could not get them out of my mind. I saw very clearly that he was right, that many evangelicals today have unwittingly embraced songs about themselves at the expense of those focusing their gaze upon Him.

Now, I want to make it clear that the church I attend is not overly "contemporary" or "seeker-sensitive" or any of the other words used to describe congregations that seem to favor (forgive the cliche') style over substance. No, my fellowship is known for its committment to expositional, systematic, verse-by-verse teaching. It's simply the case that we sing many of the same worship songs as thousands of other churches, and that the same theological vagueness Rev. Begg sees in Christian students and books is also apparent in our songs.

------------

Did David Crowder come to mind for anyone else? I'll leave you with the chorus from his Everything Glorious song.

You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
And I am Yours
What does that make me?

Ok till the last line right?

No comments: