Friday, July 9, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Andy, Mark, Daniel and I went to see the Sorcerer's Apprentice last night. Its another one of those screener tickets that I'm lucky enough to come across every once in a while. Here's what I thought about the movie. Spoiler alert ahead. Quit reading now if you plan on seeing it later.

The Plot

The story was a rehash but was still entertaining. You've got Merlin who has three apprentices. The two guys both fall in love with the one girl. The girl chooses one of them and the other goes bad and joins forces with Morgana, King Arthur and Merlin's bane. The girl somehow pulls Morgana into her body and then Cage, the good sorcerer imprisons her in a nesting doll. Over the years, Cage puts more evil sorcerers in that doll. There is a legend of a boy who will inherit Merlin's power and defeat all that is evil.

Cut to current day. You've got a ten year old kid who stumbles into Cage's shop. He tries on a ring that signals that he's "the one." Both cage and evil guy get locked up for 10 years. They get out and boy is now 20. He has to learn magic so he can defeat all that is evil. As he learns, he defeats some other bad guys on the Morgana team. At the end, they fight and win. Morgana and the evil sorcerer is defeated. Cage gets back with his girl. The new apprentice gets the girl and realizes his true power.

The Good

I did like the story. Its same old same old but still entertaining. The special effects were also pretty cool. The Fantasia scene was funny and entertaining. The "celebrity magician" was also pretty funny and was one of the highlights of the film for me.

The Bad

Nicholas Cage is a terrible actor. I know he's the Disney goto guy but I never cared for him. The Apprentice was surprising more annoying then Cage in this movie. I don't know if its his voice or just his nerdy frame but he kind of ruined all believability of the romance in the movie. You could also say the movie was generic so I've put that in the good and the bad.

Summary

Overall, I'd put this movie with the majority of movies Hollywood makes. Entertaining but not worth paying nine dollars and some change to see (double if I go with Marcie). A great $1.50 buy and a good rental is where I'd put it.

No comments: